News UpdatesCalendarEducationResource CenterFAQ

Question: Does the Village of Monee require any special actions when selling or renting a home in Monee?

Answer: A resale inspection is required for all real estate sales in the Village. In addition, an annual rental inspection is required for all rental properties in the Village & before a new tenant takes occupancy. All of these inspections can be scheduled by calling the Building Department at 708-534-8635.

Question: Does the Village of Monee require a real estate payment stamp or transfer stamp when selling a home?

Answer: Final water reading appointment must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance with the Village Hall and the final water/garbage bill paid in full along with any other outstanding bills owed the Village before a Real Estate Payment Stamp can be issued.

A payment stamp is required by the Village and must be affixed to the original notarized deed before closing. There is no cost for the payment stamp.

Building & Code Department:
Question: What are the allowable construction hours?

Answer: 7am to 10pm

Question: Does my contractor require a license?

Answer: Before a building permit is issued, all contractors and subcontractors listed on the permit must be licensed and insured with the Village. All plumbers and roofers must provide proof of their state license as well. Contractor License Application

Question: How do I schedule an inspection?

Answer: Please call the Building Department to schedule any required inspections. A contracted Building Inspector, certified with the International Code Council, conducts the necessary inspections for the Village of Monee. The Building Department requires a 24 hour notice for such inspections. Inspections are performed during the Building Department’s normal business hours.

Question: What do I need a permit for?

Answer: Building permits are required for all new construction, additions, remodeling, patios & decks, accessory buildings & sheds, swimming pools (above & in-ground), fences, sidewalks, driveways, roofs, lawn irrigation systems, siding, windows (if changing the frame), signs, demolition, electric, plumbing, etc.

Question: What codes are you currently using?

Question: When can garbage containers and recycle totes be placed at the curb and when do garbage containers and recycle totes need to be removed from the curb?

Answer: Garbage containers and recycle totes can be put out the night before trash collection no earlier than 7pm & are to be brought back in no later than 7pm the day of collection. Also, all garbage containers and recycle totes shall not be stored in the front yards on non trash day. They shall be stored behind a privacy fence or out of view from public areas.

Question: What is the height restriction for grass/weeds?

Answer: 6 inches

Question: Can I place a mobile storage unit (e.g. POD) on my property and what is the time limitation?

Answer: Yes, for up to a week & it has to be on a paved surface & not encumber foot or vehicle traffic.

Question: Can I take snow from my sidewalk and place it in the street?

Answer: No

Question: When is a vehicle considered to be inoperable?

Answer: Any vehicle parked for more than 72 hours in one place or visibly disabled is considered inoperable & will be ticketed.

Question: Can my neighbor have a basketball hoop in the street or on the sidewalk?

Answer: No. The hoop has to be on the property owners’ side of the sidewalk.

Question: Can I direct my sump-pump discharge to the sidewalk or street?

Answer: No. In addition, sump pump discharge and/or downspouts must be located at least 5 feet from property lines.

Question: Who is responsible for keeping the sidewalk clear of overgrown bushes and trees?

Answer: It is the property owners’ responsibility.

Public Works
Question: Can I plant trees in the Village Parkways?

Question: How do I report a pothole in the street?

Answer: Please contact the Public Works department to report any potholes at 708-534-8301.

Question: My street light is out, who do I call?

Answer: Please contact the Public Works department to report any street light outage at 708-534-8301.

Question: I need to report a missing sign, who do I call?

Answer: Please contact the Public Works department to report any missing street signs at 708-534-8301.

Question: Who do I contact for debris or maintenance issues on public streets?

Answer: Please contact the Public Works department to report any debris or maintenance issues on public streets at 708-534-8301.

Water Department
Question: Who do I call to locate utilities on my property?

Answer: According to state law, anyone planning an outdoor project that requires digging, regardless of the depth or the size of the project, must call JULIE (Dial 811 or 800-892-0123) first. Today, more utility members that supply power, gas, water and telecommunications are delivering these services underground.

For more information visit

By the way: don’t forget to check with the Village Building Department for necessary permits.

Question: How do I establish water/garbage services?

Answer: Residents can complete an application for water/garbage services at Village Hall during normal business hours. A State ID or driver’s license needs to be provided at the time of application. Renters are also required to give a deposit for water services.
Application for Village Water/Garbage Services

Question: My garbage was not picked up today. What should I do?

Answer: Garbage & recycling services are provided to the Village through A & J / Star Disposal. Residents with questions regarding pickup can call A & J at

Residents with billing questions can call Village Hall during normal business hours. Garbage pickup will be delayed one day for the week of the following holidays:

• New Year’s Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day

Visit the Residential page at to find out what to do with household hazardous waste & bulk items.

Question: How do I pay my water/garbage bill?

Answer: Bills can be paid in person at the Village Hall during normal business hours. Forms of payment accepted are cash, check, money order, and Visa or MasterCard. In addition, there is a payment drop box available in front of Village Hall or bills can be sent via US Mail. Payments cannot be accepted over the phone.

Question: When are the hydrants flushed in my area?

Answer: Hydrant flushing is done every 2nd Wednesday of the month from April through October. A common side effect of this procedure is rusty water for a short time following the flushing. Run your cold water tap until water is clear. It is advisable not to do laundry on these days.

Question: Who do I contact if I have questions or concerns with my water bill?

Answer: Residents with billing questions can call Village Hall, 708-534-8301, during normal business hours.

Question: Does Monee have hard water?

Answer: The Village of Monee water content is:
• Ph 7.0
• Iron 0.88
• Hardness 37g per gallon

Police Department
Question: Where do I pay my parking tickets?

Answer: Payment for parking tickets are accepted at Village Hall during normal business hours providing a court date has not already been assigned for said parking violation.

Question: What if I have missed my court date?

Answer: Contact -
Will County Court House
The Office of the Circuit Clerk
14 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, IL 60432

Question: Who do I contact to report graffiti or vandalism?

Answer: Please contact the Monee Police department to report any graffiti or vandalism at 708-534-8541.

Question: What are the rules for parking during snow removal?

Answer: Parking on Village streets is prohibited when two or more inches of snow has fallen and the removal has not been completed.

Question: What are Village Curfew hours?

Answer: It is unlawful for youth under the age of 17 to be in a public place or on the public way unless escorted by a parent or legal guardian between the hours of 12:01am through 6:00am Monday – Saturday and on Sundays between the hours of 11:00pm through 6:00am.

Question: How do I obtain a copy of a Police report?

Answer: Police reports may be obtained case by case basis at the police department Monday through Friday between 9:00am and 4:00pm. There is a nominal fee for each report.

Question: Am I required to purchase a vehicle/village sticker for my vehicle?

Answer: Village vehicle stickers are required and must be purchased annually on or before July 1st when fees increase and ordinance violations are enforced. Vehicle Sticker Application

Question: Will the Monee Police Department watch my residence while I am out of town?

Answer: Anyone going on vacation may request extra patrol in their area; however officers will not physically check the homes daily because this lets anyone from the area or passing through know that no one is home, creating a situation which can become the open invitation to thieves or burglars looking for a home to break into.

Question: When should I dial 9-1-1?

Answer: Anytime you need the police to respond to your home dial 9-1-1. If you just need information call the Village of Monee Police Department non-emergency number at 708-534-8541.

Question: How do I obtain a temporary handicap placard?

Answer: Contact the Illinois Secretary of State through your local full service driver’s license facility or visit for more information.

Question: What are the laws concerning loud noises from vehicles?

Answer: Excessive noise from vehicles or sound equipment is prohibited and punishable by citations and fines.

Question: Are there fireworks regulations?

Answer: The detonation of fireworks by unlicensed individuals is illegal throughout the State of Illinois.

Home  l  Government  l  The Community  l  Business & Industry  l  Contact  l  Site Index
© Village of Monee — 708-534-8301