Frequently Asked Questions – DPW

Q: What is Water Main Flushing?

A: Water main flushing is the process of cleaning or “scouring” the interior of water distribution mains by sending a rapid flow of water through the mains. Distribution mains convey water to homes, businesses and hydrants in your neighborhood. Our distribution mains are supplied with water by larger transmission lines, pump stations, and storage tanks.

Q: Why does the water system need to be routinely flushed?

A: The city’s water distribution system is a complex network of pipes and storage reservoirs where sediment or deposits may naturally accumulate over time. If not removed, these materials may cause water quality deterioration, taste and odor problems, or discoloration of the water. Water may also stagnate in lesser used parts of the distribution system. This can result in degraded water quality.  Another benefit is that we have the opportunity to operate our hydrants, then identify and repair any problems that we discover.  Ensuring that all fire hydrants are operating properly saves the fire department precious minutes when responding to an emergency.  Finally, pressure, flow rates, and disinfectant levels are monitored and recorded during the flushing process which provides us valuable data used to determine the overall health of our drinking water system.

Q: What should I do if I encounter discolored water?

A: If the tap water is used during or after flushing, it could come out full of sediment and discoloration. If you encounter discolored water, shut the water off and wait several minutes. After waiting, check the clarity by running cold water for a few minutes allowing new water to work its way into your pipes. If not, wait a few more minutes and check again. In some cases, you may experience slight discoloration for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water; it does not affect overall water quality.

Q: Is the discolored water harmful?

A: No, it is not. The yellow, orange, and occasionally red discoloration of tap water during and after flushing is the result of iron deposits being stirred up and removed from the system. Soluble iron is a normal characteristic in ground (well) water, which when mixed with disinfectants such as chlorine, oxidizes and becomes visible in water.  Iron is also introduced by the reaction between the water itself and the iron water mains that make up the distribution system. The iron, whether visible or not, is not harmful.  It can, however, affect the appearance and taste of drinking water.

Note: It is advisable to avoid doing laundry on days when water mains are being flushed in your area.  If your laundry does become stained, DO NOT USE BLEACH AND DO NOT PUT YOUR LAUNDRY IN THE DRYER. Rewash clothes immediately using more detergent or a heavy duty detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can also be used on stained fixtures.


Cloudy Tap Water

Commonly in the winter, people notice that drinking water appears cloudy. Milky water, also commonly described as cloudy, hazy, soapy, or foamy, is almost always caused by air in the water.

When Choosing a Plumber

The Village does not endorse any specific plumbing company. An important guideline to follow when choosing a plumber is that a qualified plumber needs to be licensed and Bonded with the Department of Public Health, have a copy of the 055 license and provide a letter of intent to the Village of Monee before starting any repairs. For a listing of plumbers in the Monee area, visit our business directory or contact the Monee Building Department at (708) 534-8303 to verify these procedures have been followed.

Sewer Back-up Information

Residents should notify the Village of Monee Public Works Department at (708) 534-8306 between the hours of 7am-3pm M-F before calling a plumber, anytime they experience a sewer back up. After hours dispatched call can be made at (708) 534-8309

Storm Water
Drainage problems and standing water on public property should be reported to the Village’s Department of Public Works at (708) 534-8306 or by submitting your concern electronically by clicking the envelope under the Superintendent’s picture.