Job Posting: Maintenance Worker p/t
Company / Organization
Village of Monee (Public Works)
Maintenance Worker - Part Time
Part-Time and/or Seasonal
Performs a variety of semi-skilled public works construction and maintenance duties. Duties may include operation of light and heavy equipment, power tools, hand tools and lifting. Performs other duties as assigned.
Works under the direct supervision of the Superintendent of Public Works.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Installs, repairs and maintains water delivery and wastewater collections systems including installation of water mains and repairs to water / sewer mains.
- Inspects, cleans and rebuilds storm and waste water collection sewers and manholes.
- Installs, inspects and repairs fire hydrants
- Inspects, tests, repairs and replaces water main valves
- Locates and marks water and sewer mains and service lines
- Operates B-boxes on/off along with repairs to the same
- Cleans, jets and root cuts storm and sanitary sewers as well as lift stations
- Performs ground maintenance including restoration and other duties as needed
- Operates a variety of light and heavy duty equipment
- Performs pavement repairs, erects and dismantles barricades, sets up pumps and collects and removes storm debris during emergencies or as needed
- Operates snow removal equipment
- Cleans equipment and vehicles, performs minor building and grounds maintenance requiring limited carpentry, painting, plumbing or concrete finishing skills and installs grass sod
- General knowledge of maintenance type operations applicable to buildings, grounds and public infrastructure
- Ability to interact with others including the public in a reasonable and courteous manner
- Ability to work within a chain of command
- Ability to demonstrate personal discipline qualities to perform required work
- Ability to function in an environment in which quick response is sometimes required
- Ability to lift and /or carry up to 85 lbs.
- Ability to work independently
- Physical ability to sit, walk, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch
- Must possess problem solving skills
- Possession of good safety awareness and judgment in all aspects of the position
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Must be honest, trustworthy and reliable
EDUCATION AND / OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Two or more years’ experience in utility construction and maintenance or equivalent
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience that produces the competencies
- Must possess a valid Illinois Commercial Driver’s License Minimum Class B with air brake and tanker endorsements or the ability to obtain within 6 months of date of hire (equivalent Indiana license is acceptable)
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee will encounter inclement weather, dust, dirt, noise, vibration, unpleasant odors and close working quarters.
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Department of Public Works maintenance worker will work established hours as specified by the Superintendent of Public Works as may be required to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Twelve (12) months
Within the first year of employment, evaluations will occur at 90 days, six months and one year. Thereafter, an annual evaluation will take place.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to perform the essential functions. In order to meet the needs of the Village of Monee, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.