2023 Utility Box Beautification Project
Showcase your creativity, enhance the village, & share your talents with our community!
The Village of Monee is now accepting submissions for the Utility Box Beautification Project! All submissions are due for consideration by April 15, 2024.
What is the contest?
Village of Monee’s Department of Economic Development is leading a Utility Box Beautification Project. The purpose is to wrap over 17 utility boxes around Monee with artwork created by aspiring artists.
We invite you to submit an original art piece of various mediums (illustration, painting, print, photography). Through your artwork, you will have the opportunity to share visuals which you feel best reflects the Village of Monee.
- Authentic Historical Native American
- Monee History
- Midwestern Railroad
- Tribute to First Responders
- Colorful Abstract or Landscape (non-graffiti)
Whichever direction you take, we are very excited to see your work! Please see images to the left for examples of art pieces which our Department of Economic Development, who created and organized this contest, find relevant and inspirational.
What are the prizes?
Selected artists will each receive a $500 stipend from the Village of Monee for your participation in this project, and your work will be displayed across 1-3 utility boxes within Monee’s village limits. Your art will also be featured on the Village’s Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and website with rightful credit to your work. All “Utility Box Beautification” pieces will be considered for any sized utility box as long as dimensions allow.
Special thanks to the Village of Monee’s 150th Celebration for sponsoring this contest and providing the stipends to qualified artists.
Who can submit art?
All local artists are encouraged to submit their work.
How are pieces selected?
Submissions will be selected based on the following elements of artistic expression:
- Interpretation and the clarity of the theme to the viewer.
- Creativity and originality of the depicted theme.
- Quality of artistic composition and overall design based on the theme.
- Overall impression of the art.
How do I submit?
Contact our Marketing Coordinator, Rachel Beckmann via email (email@example.com) with any questions.
All submissions are due for consideration via email by April 15, 2024.
Before submitting artwork, please verify that your artwork meets these requirements:
- Your art must be SQUARE or HORIZONTAL in orientation which means that it must be wider than it is tall, or evenly measured. Submissions that do not meet this requirement will be disqualified.
- We will consider both physical and digital artwork, but the final product will be translated into a digital format to be wrapped.
- Your digital file MUST be a high-resolution image of no less than 300dpi (the higher the better).
- Your digital file must be less than 400MB in size.
- Include a brief (150 word maximum) “Artist Statement” explaining your art, your creative process and/or what the theme means to you.
- Please label your digital art file with the “title” (5 word maximum) and your name - for example, "ArtworkTitle-ArtistName".
- AI generated artwork is not accepted. If the submission is determined to be AI generated, it will be disqualified.
- Once submitted no edits can be made. If edits need to be made, please contact us and we will adjust your submission as needed.